Saturday, July 30, 2011

Sharp and limber

What's the best way to stay sharp as a writer? How do you keep that brain of yours spinning with the ability to think up new ideas?  

Practice, practice, practice. 

An author friend of mine, Karen Hoover, does Flash Friday every weekend. She puts up two or three words to use as prompts and you go to it. You can write your story any time between Friday and Monday, but you only get one hour to write it. That hour includes the editing, and the story can only be a thousand words. (or less) She puts them all up on her blog and everyone votes on which they like best. No one knows which story belongs to which writer and you can't vote for yourself. (Yeah, I know what you're thinking!)

How fun does that sound? Way fun! It keeps your mind limber. So often we get stuck in ruts of only being able to write one way, or in one genre, or in one style. This little competition among friends has helped me do what I call sprinting. It's quick and entertaining. If you want to join in the fun, just let Karen know. The more the merrier!

Just be sure to vote for me. My story will be the best one. I'm sure you'll recognize it!

12 comments:

James Garcia Jr said...

Ha! I'm sure you're right, Melissa. Of that, I have no doubt.
I just got back from vacation, so I'm trying to catch up on the blogs. *waves*

-Jimmy

Charmaine Clancy said...

Will check your story out :)

Over at my blog we're having a blogfest this week where every writer is sharing their favourite writing warm up exercise. Should be fun!

Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting about Karen's Flash Fridays, I look forward to participating:)

Nina

Not available. said...

Melissa, your blog is great. It looks like we both believe in the power of creative inspiration - that's what I blogged about yesterday.

Keep up the great work!

Old Kitty said...

Oooh thanks for the link -sounds like a blast!!!! Good luck!!! Of course yours is the best one!! Yay!! Take care
x

AliyaPM said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! I'll have to go read what everyone is writing. :)

Emy Shin said...

Practice is definitely the best method of staying sharp. And Karen's Flash Friday sounds so fun!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I might need to try some flash pieces, although blog writing keeps me in practice as well.

Shirley Wells said...

Flash Friday sounds a fun way to keep the mind fresh. And yes, your story will be the best. :)

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

I am so bad at short stories and flash fiction! I have the utmost appreciation for those who can!

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

Sounds like a great way to get and keep the creative juices flowing.

aisyahputrisetiawan said...


I say many thanks to the father of the website admin I read this, because at this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Obat Migrain
Obat Pelancar Buang Air Besar
Vitamin Untuk Kekebalan Tubuh
Suplemen Untuk Pertumbuhan Anak
Jamu Penambah Nafsu Makan Anak
Suplemen Herbal Peninggi Badan
Obat Untuk Ibu Setelah Melahirkan
Suplemen Untuk Ibu Hamil
Cara Mencegah Cacat Pada Janin
Obat Benjolan Di Punggung Tradisional