Friday, December 4, 2009

Do you "get" me?

I have to laugh. I admit it. There a few things I do that are trademarks to my writing. And not good trademarks, mind you. Today, I burst out laughing when Kristine, my editor, wrote, "Please, no more mouths hanging open!"

I have noticed (because she marks them all) that everyone in my story has a jaw dropping moment at one time or another. Once would probably be fine, but I'm seeing how I use it too often. I never noticed it before. I try not to feel embarrassed.

Isn't that how life is? We get comfortable doing something and want to continue on, not realizing how irritating it is to others. I'm not just talking about writing here, but life in general. It makes me wonder what else I do repetitively that just isn't working in my life.

I also love how often she marks whole paragraphs as "wordy and awkward." I really do think it's funny. I laugh out loud. This one makes total sense though. So often I say something that someone else takes wrong because I assume they "get" me. I don't think I'm that different from other people, so it's no wonder there's so much confusion in the world.

Anyway, it has been a pleasure working with Kristine. She's honest, witty and forthright. I love her ideas and suggestions. I use most of them. At least 95% of the time.

On with another week. On with more revisions and more laughing as I sit here. What a fun job.

7 comments:

Tash said...

oh no i soo get you !! haha sometimes even when you dont get yourself ;) hehe glad you are enjoying your new job!! i imagine your book is shaping up nicely!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Excellent post, Melissa, comparing editing and writing issues with life...that's really an idea to draw me up short. I think of the little quirks or habits I have and everyone who knows me is used to, then I go around other people and they may be thinking, "Huh? What is this woman even saying? Does she even know how to put together a sentence?" (This is from a habit I have of not finishing my sentences, because my husband likes to finish them for me, so I just let him because I get tired of talking anyway.)And I remember meeting you at LUW and thinking you were delightful! I never once saw your mouth hanging open, even when you were surprised.

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

too funny! mine's the eyes. and lip biting. apparently nobody else 'gnaws on their lip' except me? ha ha.

I also keep 95% of the suggestions...but the other 5%, we'll have to duke it out. :)

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

you got--um--tagged? on my blog today. :)

M. Gray said...

Ha! Jaw hanging open. At least your characters are in an awesomely action centered moment!

Melissa J. Cunningham said...

That's what I thought! ha ha

Adeeva Afsheen said...


I say many thanks to the father of the website admin I read this, because at this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Vitamin Untuk Kecerdasan Anak
Obat Pengencang Payudara Tanpa Efek Samping
Vitamin Penambah Stamina Pria
Obat Herbal Penyubur Sperma
Suplemen Untuk Tulang
Cara Mengatasi Kemandulan Untuk Pria Dan Wanita
obat Penurun Berat Badan Tanpa Efek Samping
Cara Mengatasi Kemandulan
Cream Jerawat Herbal Alami
Obat Benjolan Di Pergelangan Tangan