Friday, July 2, 2010

Back in the saddle.

I'm ready to get to work again and I'll be honest, part of my problem has been that I feel like I've written myself into a corner with my current story. I've been avoiding it and have been tempted to put it away. Well, three weeks seems to be long enough and I'm ready to pick it up again.

Last night I started reading it from the very beginning. Where do I want to go with this story? What is my plan? I'm getting ideas just from reading through it again. I'm changing things, developing my characters better and changing the tone just a bit. It makes it fun again.

So here's the thing. If you're working on a story that his lost it's "fun," you need to put it away for a few weeks, then pull it out and look at with fresh eyes. Maybe you need to change the tone. Maybe you need to change the POV. Maybe you need to change the tense. And if you do, just go with it. It's the journey that is so enjoyable. This is why we write . . . to lose ourselves in a story and hopefully for others to do the same.

What a blessing it is to be creative! How awesome to have this talent, but it won't grow unless you work it, practice, stretch and be willing to change things to make it better. I'm back to enjoying the process. Let's hope the feeling sticks around for a while!

6 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Of course it will!!!! Well done you!! Stepping away from your wip and giving it a rest for a while then refreshing is a great way of revitalising!

Good luck!
take care
x

Stina said...

Can't say I've had that problem. I have taken a book that I didn't think would land a offer for representation and wrote a new outline based on a subplot. It went from YA paranormal to YA suspense.

Andrea said...

I just hit the "corner" with my current WIP. I hate feeling burned out, but you're right - putting it away for a while might be the best thing for it.

Sigh... Wish I could write endlessly without ever needing to do anything else. :-)

Melissa Cunningham said...

No kidding, huh? I wish I could too and I have actually done that. The book that is being published was like that. Smooth as silk to write. Dang it, I wish they were all like that! LOL

Nicole said...

It is great to realise that not only can you write but you can re-write and make it AWESOME! ;p

Nicole said...

Hello! Just a note to let you know I’ve awarded you the ‘One Lovely Blog’ award. Pop over to my blog to collect it. You’ll see a little blurb as to what I love about your blog too, I hope it makes you smile ; )