Thursday, July 22, 2010

Almost there!

I've been sitting here for hours, reading out loud. I'd gone completely through my ms, making changes, cutting whole paragraphs down, editing sentences, until I thought I was done. But just to be sure, I thought I'd read myself the story out loud to catch any mistakes I'd left behind.

OH MY WORD!

I'm so glad I did. My ms was riddles with little things I would have been embarrassed to leave in. I tend to be lazy--to think, 'It's good enough.' I do this with most aspects of my life. It's something that has always bothered me but not something I've put a lot of effort into changing.

So . . . I'm so glad I read it out loud. I've found lots more to cut, being redundant like I am, and better ways to re-arrange sentences. My kids have loved it too--sitting at my feet listening to the story unfold.

This draft is going to be great and I'll be really surprised if there are a lot of things K wants me to change. We're getting so close and I feel a sense of euphoria, anticipating the finish line. I sigh in relief, afraid my next book won't compare.

Do you ever feel that way? That there's no way you can write another book as good? I know it's not true, but that nagging thought is always at the back of my mind. Go away, bad thought! *smirk*

4 comments:

Nicole said...

No I firmly believe if you've done it once, you can do it again and better. It's like sewing, every time you sew you hone the craft a little more. Well done on spotting them all, major blushing at all the mess ups I'll bet *grin* That's what happened to me. Cept I read it to my friend every morning on the way to work ;p

Old Kitty said...

It's not true because you will write another fabulous book - yes you will!!! :-)

CONGRATULATIONS!! With this draft - and it's brilliant that reading it aloud to an audience have helped you. I have to admit I hate reading my stuff alound but a friend once suggested taping my voice then playing it back. Hmmm.

But well done you!!! yay!!! Have a lovely evening - I think you should be celebrating now!

Take care
x

Kathryn Hupp-Harris said...

I know exactly what you mean. I've worked on the same story for a long, long time. But I'm glad I took that time and allowed the story to develop into something solid through revisions.

I've had my second ms half written for almost a year, and it's turning out to be just as complicated.

As writers, we learn so much throughout the journey of each new project. Enjoy it, and don't fret about the next one until you're in the midst of it.

Also, reading your ms outloud is a fantastic way to catch hiccups in the flow of your narrative. And if your voice gets tired, your computer should have a narrator program that will read to you. :-) I use it all the time so I can do two things at once.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

In response to your question, uh, no. I don't feel that way. I feel that every one of my stories is a masterpiece. *GRIN*

Levi loves to say, "oh my word!" too. I have no idea where he got that from, either. lol