Friday, May 8, 2009

The dreaded query

The first time I wrote a query letter, I think I broke out in a sweat. I have to say, it was the hardest thing I have ever done in the literary world. Why is it that those queries scare us so?

Because they have to be perfect. Absolutely perfect and what is a perfect query anyway? That's the thing. You have to write a brilliant letter, but brilliant is in the eye of the beholder.

Who knows what each individual agent will think is wonderful. My advice is this. Write the best letter you can, then send it out to everyone to critique! EVERYONE! That was the scariest thing I've ever done. I was so afraid my letter would suck, and that everyone would know how stupid I truly was.

Low and behold, I had quite a bit of praise right along with the suggestions. Thank you to my friends out it Writer's Incognito world! I love you for your help!

I sent out four queries this morning for my novel, the guitar. It's a romantic/suspense story that I have to say . . . is fabulous! lol

Anyway, don't be afraid! Take chances! Stick you neck out there and NEVER give up!!!